Thursday, November 3, 2011

Jaimee Lung Update

So my last blog was October 18, 2010. Over a year ago!!  I think facebook has made it a lot easier to stay in touch with a few sentences a day but lately I feel like I am posting all the time so maybe its time to do a little more blogging.

We finally got a little bit of information on Jaimee...

A quick recap for those who don't know or forgot:
Back in June I took her to the doctor because she had had an off/on cough for about a month. No other symptoms really other than the cough. The doctor did a chest x-ray and something showed up in her right middle lobe of her lung so they thought she had pneumonia. We did 2 or 3 rounds of antibiotics and then a month later did a follow up chest x-ray. The x-ray showed no improvement despite the antibiotics and time so we were referred to a pediatric pulmonologist.  Because of her lack of symptoms and no improvement he suspected that maybe she aspirated something into her lungs. Since a scope to see what's in there requires general anesthesia, he didn't want to do that right away. He said to take her off all antibiotics and she would 1) not get sick again and be fine or 2) get sick again.  He did not recommend a follow up x-ray to see if things had cleared up or not.

Up-To-Date...
So since July we have basically been waiting to see if Jaimee will get sick again or not.  She has had an off/on cough for quite some time now and I have taken her in to the doctor 3 or 4 times for it (because that's the only symptom she had in the beginning) but no one would do another chest x-ray to prove to me that I am being over-reactive to just a plain old cold. 

Ryan finally got fed up and took her into the doctor yesterday and insisted that a chest x-ray be done again.  And... there is still a spot in her lungs.  So the doctor thinks its a pretty fair assumption that she did in fact aspirate something; however, he believes her persistent cough is due to allergies (not sure I buy it totally) and says that some aspirated objects can be broken down by the body itself and requires no further interventions..

So we are taking thing slow.  We are trying her on 2 allergy medicines for 2 weeks to see if her cough goes away. We will probably see a pulmonologist to go over all her x-rays again to see if the spot has gotten smaller (a good sign which shows its being broken down) or not.

I guess we still don't know a whole lot but I do feel way better knowing that the doctor finally acknowledges that there is something going on more than just the common cold and we can now work together to make sure that things get taken care of properly and in a timely matter.

And now I can feel like I am NOT a crazy mother for taking my kid to the doctor everytime she gets a cough.

No comments:

Post a Comment