Thursday, November 19, 2009

Rory Ran Away!

I had a scary morning yesterday.  I let Rory and Tucker out into the yard like normal.  I called them in but Rory was muddy and was going to need a bath so I let Tucker in but left her outside (much to her joy!).  Probably 20 minutes or so later I was ready to tackle Rory's mud and called her in but she didn't come.  I slipped my shoes on to go in the yard and get a better look.  I didn't see her anywhere.  I have watched her vigorously try to escape from our fence without success because she's just too big now so I was scared that someone had stole her.

I had Jaimee so I ran her in the house and put her in her bounceroo so she would be safe- maybe not happy but safe- and so I could run faster to look.  I took Tucker with me because I thought if we found her, she might not come to me and let me catch her but she might come to Tucker/follow him home.  I also brought a box of treats. 

We went running through our neighbor's yards calling her and shaking the box.  I'm freaking out because I am all alone and need to look for my dog but also have a baby that can't be left alone for too long. 

Finally, Rory came running from somewhere, on a busy street, and actually came to me!  I was so thankful just to see her and see that she wasn't stolen or ran over and was thrilled to death that she actually came to me.  If it were Tucker, we would be on an hour long hunt waiting for him to tire out or go to the bathroom.

I brought her home and locked her in the kitchen (remember the muddy feet?) and fed her lots of treats.  After a while, she got her bath.  I wanted to wait a bit so she didn't associate coming home with getting a dreaded bath.

The whole process only took about 15 minutes but it felt much longer.  I love that little dog!

I have no idea how she got out of the yard.  I have been watching her closely because I figure she will try to repeat it now that she's figured it out.  I can only guess that she somehow squeezed through.  I've seen her trying really hard to squeeze through today.  Grrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment